Boarding school life provides a unique experience unlike any other. You’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a thriving community and spend your days on a beautiful campus. But what exactly does a day in the life of boarding school look like? We’ve got the answer and more!
A Typical Day in Boarding School Life
Below is a sneak peek of what a day in the life of boarding school may look like. Keep in mind that every boarding school may split its classes differently, so this is a general overview of boarding school life.
- 7:45–8:30 a.m. Students living on campus will begin their days with breakfast during this time.
- 8–8:30 a.m. All students are expected to arrive on campus.
- 8:30–11:25 a.m. During this period, you’ll attend half of your classes. This schedule will look different for each student depending on the level of flexibility available in your grade level.
- 11:30 a.m–12:30 p.m. Students will be split into lunch groups during this time. Younger students will likely have the option to attend recess during half of this time, while older students may continue their classes until it is time for lunch.
- 12:35–1:55 p.m. Depending on the day of the week, this time slot in your schedule may look different. At Stuart Hall, students have the opportunity to partake in Community Time. This refers to all-school meetings, chapel, advisory program meetings, college counseling, and more.
- 2:10–3:30 p.m. Students will continue or resume classes during this time. These will be their final classes of the day.
- 3:50–5:30 p.m. During this time slot, students will participate in their co-curricular activities. This includes clubs, athletics, and more. For students at Stuart Hall School, they may also take advantage of the school’s close proximity to downtown Staunton by joining friends in a local coffee shop or restaurant, going to the movie theatre, or shopping.
- 6–6:45 p.m. For students who live on campus, dinner will be provided.
- 7:30–9:30 p.m. Students are expected to attend study hall together. During this time, dorm parents will check in with students and see where they may need additional assistance.
- 9:45–10 p.m. Dorm parents will make the rounds in the dorms, ensuring that every student is safely back in their rooms. Grades 8–11 will have their check-ins at 9:45 p.m., while students in grade 12 should expect to return to their rooms by 10 p.m.
- 10:30–11 p.m. For students in grades 8–9, you’ll be expected to have lights out by 10:30 p.m. Grades 10–12 may keep their lights on until 11 p.m.
And there you have it! Though boarding school life is all about helping students develop their interests and explore newfound freedom, it also offers the structure most students need to succeed.
Keep reading to learn a bit more about how boarding school life has unbeatable value.
The Value of Boarding School Life
Highlighted below are just a few of the many benefits that boarding school life has to offer.
Advanced College Preparation
Boarding school life offers a unique advantage when it comes to college preparation. In addition to a rigorous curriculum and plenty of co-curricular options, you’ll learn skills such as accountability and responsibility that will help you as you transition into higher education.
You’ll also gain a small sense of the freedom that comes with college life. Attending a boarding school provides the opportunity to spend your free time as you please. You’ll have the chance to explore the local community, completing homework assignments in the ambiance of the nearby coffee shop.
Exceptional Co-Curricular Activities
Stuart Hall understands that every student has unique passions and interests. That’s why we offer such a wide range of co-curricular opportunities for you to choose from. Try your hand at a new talent or fall further in love with your favorite sport during a day in the life at boarding school.
Between these co-curricular activities, daily classes, and sharing dorm rooms, you’ll have the ability to foster lifelong friendships that will carry with you into higher education and beyond.
Being a part of boarding school life means immersing yourself in a strong community. You’ll be surrounded by a diverse group of peers and teachers who are all working together to help every student succeed. Boarding school also provides an entire community of people in the surrounding town who may work hand in hand to keep students safe.
Experience Boarding School Life with Stuart Hall
At Stuart Hall, we’ve carefully crafted our students’ schedules to allow them the freedom and flexibility to pursue their passions without losing the structure that most students need. We aim to utilize boarding school life as a way to cultivate curious and creative individuals. By the time you walk across the graduation stage at Stuart Hall, we hope that you feel prepared to confidently navigate higher education and beyond.
Visit our campus in Staunton, Virginia, to learn more about a day in boarding school life!