Benefits of Fine Arts in the Curriculum
As a College Preparatory school, we understand that the inclusion of art in our curriculum is vital for students’ growth, self-awareness, and connection with other people and cultures. There are a multitude of benefits for students who are able to participate in a variety of opportunities in fine arts art-based learning including:
- Students build connections. Similar to an arts-focused boarding school, like-minded students at Stuart Hall can connect through their love of creative expression. Long-term friendships can blossom from students in the same art classes.
- Builds confidence. Skills-based art curriculum can help students build confidence as they see their hard work pay off. Theatre and String/Instrumental Ensembles develop public speaking and performance skills that reap benefits for a life-time.
- Builds concentration. Painting, drawing, instrument practice, memorizing lines etc. requires students to concentrate on the project in front of them. The concentration skills they build in art classes transfer to other classes and areas of life.
- Fosters creativity. In art class, students will use their creative abilities to think outside of the box. Creativity, encouraged in all Stuart Hall classes and co-curriculars, transfers into many other soft skills such as problem-solving.
- Allows for self-expression. Art in school gives students the freedom to express themselves through creative projects. Self-expression helps students learn who they are and grow as individuals.
- Promotes collaboration. Some art projects may be collaborative. This promotes teamwork and camaraderie between students. Theatre productions and music ensembles particularly exemplify this.
Art classes offered during the academic day are open to all interested students. Our art classes are meant to foster creative growth and develop skills transferable to academics and life beyond school. Our talented faculty provide students with a safe and structured learning environment to express themselves through art.
The fine arts curriculum at Stuart Hall includes:
- 2D and 3D Art
- AP Art and Design
- Musical Ensembles
- AP Music Theory
- Dance (coming Fall 2023!)
- Faculty support in building a portfolio of work to submit to universities
Co-Curricular Art Offerings
After school, students may explore co-curricular art offerings designed for self-expression, self-esteem, self-confidence, and artistic collaboration — without the pressure of a grade. These co-curricular art offerings range from Theatre and Woodworking to Paper Modeling and more.